-A window ajar is a prelude in building to the joy of being limitless! That uneasiness of being familiar somehow, sometime, somewhere.......

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Literary nirvana...

To attempt to justify the true essence of humanity in words is a torture of great magnitude.One such unparalleled venture to honestly reflect the true portrait of humanity was successfully accomplished nearly a century back on this very day; it is indeed no accident that the nirvana of the english language should share an epic birthday with the buddha himself.

Here is an excerpt of one of the most beautiful endings in the english literature......

.......O that awful deepdown torrent O and the sea the sea crimson sometimes like fire and the glorious sunsets and the figtrees in the Alameda gardens yes and all the queer little streets and the pink and blue and yellow houses and the rosegardens and the jessamine and geraniums and cactuses and Gibraltar as a girl where I was a Flower of the mountain yes when I put the rose in my hair like the Andalusian girls used or shall I wear a red yes and how he kissed me under the Moorish wall and I thought well as well him as another and then I asked him with my eyes to ask again yes and then he asked me would I yes to say yes my mountain flower and first I put my arms around him yes and drew him down to me so he could feel my breasts all perfume yes and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes.

Trieste-Zurich-Paris 1914-1921

9 comments:

Martin said...

I really liked that text. Triste - sad, is that the name of the book? :-)

:: LA LUNA ::

Arunima said...

too many flowers. nai?
:-)

Pincushion said...

'he asked me would I yes to say yes my mountain flower'
always the eternal dance of love ! its always about it, isn't it ??!!

Ubermensch said...

luna,
gracias:)
trieste is a small italian town where the book was started and completed in zurich and paris; the book obviously is ulysses.
triste (without an e) of course has nothing to do here:))

aru,
yes yes !
:-)

sud,
its the last lines of ulysses, famously called the molly bloom's soliloquy, where the last sentence runs over several lines and many a pages...ending in that famous ''yes'' reaffirming the love of molly to bloom(husband).you would appreciate it better in the context!


pinny,
bingo...but look at the treatment death to romanticism..:))

Anonymous said...

i want to agree that it's reaffirming her love, but it's very debatable. remember, if he doesn't respond to her display the next morning she'll leave him.

so perhaps she's affirming her love, but her frustration outweighs it.

the ambiguity adds another dimension to its beauty.



btw, i got here googling for 'that awful deepdown torrent'. this page is the top result!

<3ct

. : A : . said...

Yes, a beautiful ending to a beautiful book!

Hector Drone said...

I've never been to a James Joyce convention... but if I am supposed to meet people like the ones browsing this excellent blog, I may as well book my tickets for Dublin this very instant!!!
Dear ubermensch, congrats on this wonderful series of posts. I think it's the only blog I have run into, so far, that makes me wish it was published in a hard cover edition...
Keep up the good work.
Greetings from Athens [Greece, not Georgia]
All the best

Ubermensch said...

christiant,
well it may seem so that the frustration outweighs the affection,but in the context,it gains special meaning as it is supposed that she was unfaithful,....so its like coming back to true love again ...
thank u for the comments,
im surprised regding the search !!

:A:,
sublime...indeed thank u.

Dear drone,
efkhareesto....(pardon me, my greek ends there,:)after all its kinda greek and latin to me)
you are being magnanimous with your words there...thanks again for all the wishes and the fishes :))

Ubermensch said...

drone, if u wish to come to a joyce convention...june 16th dublin..believe me...out of the world experience:))

Search Blog

Labels